Trick-or-treat! Halloween is swiftly approaching and you may be wondering how to keep your night full of lots of treats and minimal tricks. For pets, some hazards are obvious, and some are not. Continue reading to learn about the pet dangers on Halloween and how to keep your pet as safe as possible.
Candy is certainly an essential element to Halloween, who doesn’t love candy?
The hazards of candy go beyond the toxicity in chocolate. In addition to chocolate, sugar free candies contain xylitol which can be deadly in both cats and dogs. Since nearly all Halloween candy is dangerous due to wrappers and artificial sweeteners, it’s best to steer clear of candy around your pets. Stash the candy bowl, be sure to pick up wrappers, and make sure the only one devouring treats is you!
Costumes and Decorations
In relation to all the spooky knick-knacks around your home, make sure your decorations are out of reach of your four legged pals. Decorations with tempting tinsel can be especially dangerous and cause damage to the intestinal tract if consumed; that being said, keep tinsel well out of reach. Use extreme caution with candles and lit jack-o-lanterns along with other porch decorations. Safety is always the priority, which applies to costumes too. Make sure your pet is wearing a comfortable and breathable costume if you choose to dress your pet-up. While Halloween night is a fun occasion, it’s also a night where you’ll want to keep a closer eye on your furry friend.
The Halloween season is packed full of spooky activities all leading up to the spookiest celebration of the year, trick-or-treating. Trick-or-treating is not necessarily intended for pets; however, if you decide to bring your pet along, you’ll need to keep a few things in mind. The most important thing is that your pet is easily identifiable. Make sure your pet is easy to spot, preferably in bright or reflective colors. Be sure to come prepared, and bring your own dog treats to reward your pet along the way. If you’re finding that you have to ask yourself if bringing your pet trick-or-treating is a good idea, the answer is probably not. That being said, the best way for your pet to spend Halloween night is at home. Pets tend to get riled up by neighborhood activity, we recommend keeping your pet away from the commotion and checking on them periodically.
Halloween night is intended to be fun, but sometimes things happen. If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately. If something unexpected comes up, act fact and don’t wait until the morning to do something. And most importantly, stay spooky!
Written by: Gracie Butler
Animal Care Foundation
Providing elderly and disabled community members access to veterinary care for their beloved pet.