1. A potential client is referred to ACF by a caseworker, veterinary clinic, or by self- referral.
2. The client is required to submit an application and provide proof of eligibility in all three of the following areas: Residence in Hennepin or Washington County; Blind, Disabled or 65 years or older; Significant Financial Need; no other pets enrolled in ACF program.
3. The Coordinator reviews and approves or rejects the client’s application. If approved the client is assigned an ACF Client Number.
4. The Coordinator contacts a veterinary member clinic to see if they can take the referral.
4. If the referral is accepted by the clinic the coordinator sends the member clinic information related to the client, the reason for the referral any medical history available, and the amount of “credit” available for the pet for that year.
5. The coordinator gives the contact information of the member clinic who has accepted the referral to the client and directions regarding the client's responsibilities.
6. The client calls the clinic and sets up the appointment.
7. The client is responsible for their own transportation.
8. The client arrives at the clinic at the appointment time, confirms with the clinic their basic contact information, the reason for the visit and past medical history.
9. The veterinary member clinic collects the history, examines the animal, discusses any indicated diagnostic work, therapy and costs with the client. The member clinic donates goods and services in the amount of the “credit” that the pet has remaining for the year. Responsibility and method of payment for any remaining costs are determined by the client and the clinic.
10. Appropriate diagnostic tests and treatments are provided.
11. Once a month the Coordinator faxes, emails or sends by regular mail the Monthly Reporting Form listing any active clients that the member clinic has seen in the past.
11. The veterinary member clinic returns the completed Monthly Reporting Form listing the total value of ALL pro bono work done that month including that done for Animal Care Foundation Clients. The Monthly Reporting Form may also be downloaded from the top of this page.
12. The Coordinator follows up with the client.
Member Clinic Responsibilities
1. Appoint a contact person from clinic staff and supply the ACF Coordinator with this person's contact information, preferred method of communication (email, fax, phone), and preferred times to be contacted.
2. After being contacted by the ACF Coordinator accept or deny the referral. Member clinics may refuse a referral for any reason.
3. Set up an appointment with the ACF client when the client calls.
4. Provide professional diagnosis and a treatment plan with services and required medication up to a value of $250/year for one pet per family. You may choose to provide/donate services beyond $250 if you wish. The information sent by the ACF Coordinator to the clinic will include the monetary value of services/medications remaining for the pet for that year.
5. At the end of each month return the completed Monthly Reporting Form that the Coordinator sent you. This form lists each ACF active client that has ever been seen by the clinic. You fill in the value of service and medications donated if you saw any of the clients that month. You also fill in all donations of services and medications to non-ACF organizations. You may download a blank form at the bottom of this page.
6. If your clinic is approached by someone interested in becoming an ACF client or has previously been an ACF client please have them complete the client application & renewal form found on the "To Apply" page on this website.
11. If your clinic elects to work with a pet owner who may qualify as an ACF client please have them complete and return to us the client application & renewal form
We have simplified the reporting process by decreasing the amount of information you need to report and by combining the Clinic Visit Report and the Monthly Report Form. The Monthly Reporting Form may be obtained in any of the following ways:
1. Call 763-529-5060 and leave a message
2. Email Coordinator@AnimalCareFoundation.org
3. Fax 877-419-1774
4. Regular Mail:
Animal Care Foundation
PO Box 24525
Edina, MN 55424
5: Download the form in pdf format below*
*Please note that when the coordinator sends you the form either by fax or email your Clinic's ACF client names will be preloaded. If you download the form the client names will not be preloaded.